Retractable awnings are also quite durable and if looked after will last many years. They also add value to your property due to the fact that they can create a better outdoor living space to reduce heat, sun and glare for key areas.
Why most consumers purchase retractable awnings
Approximately 70% of consumer that purchase retractable awnings for the exterior of their home or business do so to protect their furniture, fabrics and other elements from the sun. Included in that percentage are people wanting to provide more shade for a comfortable living space and to keep areas cool.
- Save money on energy. Vertical drop screen and retractable awnings have the ability to lower temperatures inside homes and buildings by up to 75%, and can reduce your use of air conditioning by 25%. This means lower power bills.
- Protecting elements. Drop screens and awnings protect certain areas from different weather conditions.
- Protecting areas from allergens. Vertically-hanging awnings are typically used as screens around decks and patio areas.
- Privacy. Great for outdoor activity areas like hot tubs, pools, and spas.
Where you can install awnings
Most people install them in more obvious places, like where the extra shading is needed. Retractable awnings are more popular in sunny and dry climates, but they are often used in cooler climates to extend the use of outdoor patios by keeping the cold wind away.
They are really quite versatile and can work in nearly any climate. To make sure a retractable awning will meet your needs, ask yourself the following questions:
- Where is the best place to install the awning?
If you intend on installing awnings to lower your energy bills, then you must make sure they are installed covering doors and windows that are facing the sun. You also want to consider if your awning will be installed to cover certain outdoor living areas to add shade.
- Which design best suits your needs and intended purpose?
There are lots of retractable awning styles and colours from which to choose and you can also have them custom made to fit the space where you’d like them installed.
- Does your awning need to retract?
The final thing you want to consider is whether or not you would like your awnings to retract and how. Some awnings come with a variety of sensors and accessories to control the awning under different types of weather conditions. For example, rain, sun, wind and motion.
We love helping our customers across the Sunshine Coast choose their window furnishings!
Looking for some ideas and inspiration for your next project?